This article provides a list of Jobs Under Political Science in Nigeria. Also, it provides a brief description of these jobs and the salaries they earn.
Political science is a course that opens you to plenty of opportunities in the labor market. This field of study is concerned with studying political systems and how governance is conducted.
This post is for those interested in political science with a degree.
Jobs Under Political Science in Nigeria
Below is a list of the jobs under Political Science in Nigeria.
- Legislative Aide
- Political Scientist
- Political Campaign Manager
Legislative aides are personal assistants to legislators, either in the house of the Senates or the Representatives. The job description entails offering support services to legislators and, in the process, helping them have time for high priorities issues.
Duties of a Legislative Aide
The works of a legislative include the following:
- As a legislative aide, you will are expected to research the bills or policies a legislator is handling.
- Also, you will be in charge of communications with the media, public, and other legislation members as required.
- In some situations, you may be required to attend meetings, seminars, and conferences on behalf of your employer.
- Your job description also entails drafting and writing out speeches, memos, newsletters, and press releases.
- Often, when your employer is working on a bill or against the passing of a bill, you are expected to garner support by setting up a campaign for the bill or a motion against the bill.
Often, legislative aides work as a team managed by a high-rank legislative aide, the senior legislative aide. If you want to excel at becoming a successful legislative you must be able to communicate effectively, work under pressure, and have extensive knowledge of how legislation works.
Also, check out Work From Home Jobs for Mums.
The average salary earned by legislative aides in Nigeria is up to N158,000 per month for an experience between the first two years. This survey is according to Mysalaryscale.com.
There are different political systems in every country, and these different systems affect the governance of the country in positive ways or negative ways. The job description entails thorough research on political systems using past and present developments as a key pointer for the research.
The research made by political scientists contains theories that help to understand the key political problems and practical suggestions that can help. As a political scientist, you can also assume a consultancy position or take up teaching roles.
- If you are interested in becoming a political scientist, you probably do these things highlighted below:
- You will be tasked to research the present political ecosystem in a country. The research will be a pointer to addressing the shortcomings and progress of the current political conditions.
- Furthermore, you will examine past political developments to trace patterns and trends from all the activities from then.
- Write publications detailing your findings and solutions suggested. These publications can be written online or printed. The researches are very key in amending and setting up new policies.
- The collection, organization, and analysis of data for research purposes.
- Destmifying complex political concepts to both knowledgeable and general audiences. You must be able to sound convening for every idea and suggestion you shared.
To add to what is listed above, a political scientist must have excellent communication skills, be good at analyzing things, and have a knack for solving problems.
A political scientist can earn up to N 2,000,000 in a year according to Payscale’s survey.
Not all cases are settled in the courtroom, some disputes are settled outside the courtroom using arbitration.
Most people opt for arbitration because it takes less time to reach a verdict and is less expensive compared to court proceedings
Arbitrators are professionals who oversee settling disputes between the two parties in question. They work like how judges handle court cases.
As an arbitrator, your role and responsibilities entail the following
- Assuming a neutral position on every case and giving a fair verdict after carefully examining the evidence from the disputants.
- As an arbitrator, you must schedule the time and venue for the hearing.
- Furthermore, it is your responsibility to issue a notice of arbitration to the disputants and clearly state what is expected of them for the proceeding.
- For each case, you are to use the relevant law to reach a verdict.
Excellent communication skills and extensive knowledge of the law, both general and laws on special subject matters such as engineering, and real estate.
In Nigeria, the average salary of an Arbitrator is N404,00 monthly according to the salary survey from Salary explorer.
Also, check out the List of Professional Jobs.
Political Campaign Manager
The campaign period before the actual election is pivotal to the contesting candidates because during this period is when they can convince the electorates. Consequently, the service of a political campaign staff is required.
Political campaign managers are professionals that are in charge of strategizing and bringing up effective campaign methods. The jobs entail creating a likable personality of the candidate they work for online and offline.
As a political campaign manager
- You must know how to take advantage of social media to create awareness and generate strong followership for your candidate.
- You are also in charge of drafting and writing press releases, speeches, memos, newsletters, and website content.
- The recruitment, training, and monitoring of staff and delegation of tasks.
- Putting together a campaign platform or agenda that reflects the candidate’s position on important subjects
- Strategizing promotional campaigns
- Organizing political events including fundraisers, debates, and rallies.
The average salary of a political campaign manager is N409,000 per month according to Salary Explorer’s poll.
The legal research abilities acquired by political science majors are used by lawyers working for political personalities, interest organizations, and corporate lobbyists to investigate legislative and regulatory concerns. They assist in drafting and editing policy content and evaluating appropriate statutory principles.
The roles and responsibilities of a lawyer are:
- Keeping an eye on legal risk in paperwork and providing advice on what level of risk is acceptable.
- Before signing any documents, make sure that the necessary approvals are in place.
- Law clarification and legal counsel.
- provide legal representation at hearings for arbitration or mediation.
- Draft, analyze, and manage deeds, contracts, trusts, and estates.
- Manage services relating to compliance and regulation.
In Nigeria, the salary of a lawyer falls between N350,000 to N1.4 million according to Salary Explorer.
Final Notes on Jobs Under Political Science in Nigeria and their Salaries
Political science is one of the most competitive subjects to study because it is both a lucrative and marketable course in Nigeria. Political science is an excellent course to take if you are curious about how a nation is governed.
Before you go, apply for Available Jobs.