Physiology is the study of how the body’s many systems interact and work as a system, and it is concerned with the biological elements of the human body.
For anyone with a degree in the field or who is interested in the field, there are various opportunities available.
As a student of physiology, one can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including healthcare, medicine, research, and sports.
Career Opportunities in Physiology
There are many Career Opportunities in physiology. Some of these careers are:
- Physician Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Lab Technician
- Exercise Physiologist
A chiropractor is a healthcare practitioner that specializes in the treatment of pain and misalignment in the joints and muscles.
They study the neuroskeletal and musculoskeletal systems of the body to diagnose and treat any disorders in them as a result of injury and bad posture.
Also, check out Career Opportunities in Kinesiology.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Chiropractor
The duties of a chiropractor include the following
- Organize interviews with patients to learn about their health state and the necessary plan
- Give them thorough explanations so they may comprehend what the treatment plan includes.
- Promote chiropractic products and services to raise awareness of their significance.
- Confirm the patients’ health conditions by performing diagnostic tests on them.
- Maintaining doctor-patient confidentiality while attending to clients professionally.
- Prescribe painkillers and keep an eye on consumption.
- Document the patient’s medical background.
- Treat patients by the accepted professional ethics and standards.
- When required, advise patients to use aids including orthotics, lifts, collars, and lumbar-sacral supports.
- Conceive customized chiropractic treatment plans for individuals.
According to Indeed.com, a chiropractor makes $81,335 as the annual average salary
Physician assistants work under the supervision of the head physician in a hospital or a healthcare center.
They are licensed to give medical care to patients; giving diagnoses and treating them for their injuries and illness.
They act in capacity in the same way the head physician with the difference being that their role is limited compared to the head physician
Roles and Responsibilities of a Physician Assistant
The following are the duties of a physician assistant
- Carry out clinical exams, evaluates issues, and start up the therapy and diagnostic
- the patients’ family or guardians with information and counseling
- Implement excellent management procedures and offer professional and community services
- Examine, identify, and treat patients’ ailments and injuries.
- Run diagnostic tests for the patients,
- Perform medical treatments including pap smears and gastro analyses.
- Interpret laboratory testing to identify the disease or injury’s cause
- Offer patients consultation services
- Create and oversee treatment strategies
- Give patients their prescriptions
- Examine and record the patient’s medical history and treatment plan in the records.
- Accurately charts and narrates progress notes.
- Assist the surgeons while they perform surgery
According to Indeed.com, the average salary of a physician assistant is $114,490 annually
Also, check out Career Opportunities in Anthropology.
A physical therapist is a medical professional that uses several techniques such as massage, flexible exercise routines, and muscular movement to help alleviate pain from injuries, dislocation, or illness.
Also, they help patients recover their mobility functions after a short or long-term injury.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Physical Therapist
The following are the duties of a physical therapist
- Provide a physical therapy education backed by a strong clinical background.
- Support the clinical verification of novel therapeutic strategies.
- Maintain and update the patient’s medical records, treatment schedules, and discharge notes.
- Go through and explain any prescriptions to patients and their families help.
- Carry out the treatment plan in a professional manner while also showing patients empathy.
- Question patients during consultations to determine a diagnosis and course of action.
- Instruct patients on how to do therapeutic exercise techniques correctly.
- Broaden your range of expertise by joining professional organizations, attending workshops, conferences, and local events/
- Give the patients massage treatments to assist them to relax and ease discomfort.
The average salary for a physical therapist in a year is $84,647 per the reports from Indeed.com.
An exercise physiologist is responsible for the development of the health and body fitness of the patient. They work with patients suffering from setbacks in fitness as a result of injuries or illness including those suffering from orthopedic conditions.
They make use of principles from techniques such as gait and movement mechanics and other applicable techniques for the treatment plan.
Roles and Responsibilities of an Exercise Physiologist
The following are the roles and responsibilities of an exercise physiologist
- Create fitness training and routines for a patient or group of patients’ unique needs.
- Analyze each session and assess the patient’s improvement.
- Work together to develop a treatment plan with licensed nurses, physiotherapists, and doctors
- Educate patients and provide recommendations for them
- Promote the advantages of sport and exercise while bringing attention to health and fitness concerns.
- Teach patients how to properly utilize exercise machines and warm-up exercises
- Review patient medical records to develop training regimens.
- Evaluate the breathing index (BI) and perceived exertion rate in patients (RPE)
- Add progress comments to the medical chart.
- Offer services and programs for continuous education for teams, services, and programs.
- Monitor and evaluate the vital signs of patients after each session.
According to the salary survey from Indeed.com, the average salary of an exercise physiologist is $38,684.
Laboratory technicians perform most of their duties in the laboratory, the overview of their job involves performing or assisting in performing experiments in the laboratory. They help with the data collection and analysis of the samples.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Laboratory Technician
The following are the duties of a laboratory technician
- Maintain a lab that is spotless and well-organized.
- Keep track of inventory, and stock, and maintain lab supplies to place orders for replenishment.
- Record experiment findings either in writing or on a computer.
- Help with the completion of the safety and quality logs
- Clean and sterilize lab equipment
- Follow the recommendations for managing medical and lab waste when disposing of regulated trash.
- Participate in lab research as a technical support person.
- Recognize and abide by the safety, quality, and conduct policies of the lab and the firm.
- Apply the appropriate categorization approach and tools, and label samples or substances.
- Recognize odd circumstances and let supervisory staff know about them.
- Arrange the lab’s tools and check that they are in the right order after usage.
According to Indeed.com, the average monthly salary of a laboratory technician is $4,130
Wrap-Up of the Career Opportunities in Physiology and their Salaries
Physiology is a branch of medical science that studies how the human body functions. The discipline is constantly evolving as a result of experimental studies to learn more about how to make the bodily systems better.
The physiology discipline offers a variety of occupations, some of which are covered above.
Before you go, check out Career Opportunities in Entomology.