This article highlights some Career Opportunities in Meteorology. Also, it gives a description of these jobs and their salaries.
What is Meteorology?
Meteorology is the scientific study of the earth’s atmosphere focusing on weather and climatic conditions. It is a field of study that helps to understand the atmospheric conditions, make predictions, and use the findings for agricultural purposes or avert dangers.
Career Opportunities in Meteorology
Some of the available career opportunities available in the field of meteorology are:
- GIS Technician
Also, check out Career Opportunities in Statistics and their Salaries.
GIS stands for Geographic information systems; In addition, GIS technicians are professionals who deal with the development and interpretation of maps. They assist governments and public and private organizations create maps and analyzing maps for data and information.
In addition to managing the resources available in geoinformation systems, they are responsible for determining how to manipulate those resources effectively to develop solutions to issues such as climate science, conservation of environmental resources, archaeology, and regional planning.
Roles and Responsibilities of a GIS Technician
The duties of a GIS technician are as follows:
- Use sophisticated tools and devices to collect graphical data to help create a geographic information system database.
- Operate with computing tools like ArcGIS, AutoCAD, or MapInfo to accumulate spatial data.
- UtiliseUtilise Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology to organize, store, and analyze data that has been obtained from field surveys or other sources
- Create maps and visuals with Geographic Information System (GIS) software to visualize data for intended purposes.
- Create customized maps and other visuals for presentations, publications, reports, and other uses
- Offer consultation services on the most effective application of GIS technology for the project at hand.
- Assist in the setup of software systems used in the GIS system. Also, conduct the repair of the hardware and software systems.
- Provide updates on the maps created and ensure the information on them is correct.
- Conduct validation to ensure that the integrity of the data in the GIS system is intact.
- Annotate maps
According to Zippia, the average pay of a GIS technician is $58,307 per year, and the total income is $39,000 yearly for the lowest earners working as GIS technicians.
Hydrologists are responsible for ensuring the quality standards of the circulation and distribution of water do not drop drastically to cause health problems.
They conduct experimental research on water’s physical and chemical properties from different sources to ascertain the best ways to solve contamination and reduce scarcity.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Hydrologist
- Assess water sites such as dams and water power plants.
- Visit locations where water is contaminated to take samples for research,
- Assess water’s characteristics to ascertain its pH, volume, and flow.
- Use data modeling and other forecast elements to predict the occurrence of floods, pollution, and other factors that can threaten the quantity and quality of water supply.
- Figure the best technique to conserve, manage, and maintain water.
- Keep, maintain, and update records of how water is supplied and conserved.
- Participate in the planning, collection, and monitoring of surface and groundwater.
- Work on water resource concerns with local, state, and federal entities.
- Investigate and develop a water management system.
- Analyze hydrologic, snow, and meteorological data.
- Create a detailed report of the contour maps of groundwater heights, geologic structure, cross-sections, isopach, water quality, and other hydrogeologic data.
The average salary of a hydrologist per year is $84,030 per year, per the Career Explorer survey.
Also, check out Career Opportunities in Writing and their Salaries.
They are broadly vested with the knowledge of how climates and weather work, which helps them present concise reports on weather conditions. As a weather forecaster, one can also venture into broadcasting, delivering information on weather conditions via television and radio.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Weather Forecaster
- Provide day- and week-long live weather predictions with high and low temperatures and precipitation chances.
- Alert viewers or listeners to severe weather patterns that might affect daily life or safety
- Analyze weather-related data, meteorological graphs, and atmospheric models to understand and effectively communicate situations.
- Identify significant weather-related news and then produce engrossing pieces on them.
- Collaborate with the design and editing teams to create graphics that explain weather conditions or the possible impact on the audience
According to ZipRecruiter, the average salary of a weather forecaster is $66,153 a year.
Climatologists study weather and climatic conditions for an extended period to highlight the key elements that lead to such conditions using that information to determine the patterns involved and the best way to reverse the effect of unfavorable climatic conditions.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Climatologist
- Analyze and interpret information from computer models, radar and satellite images, and meteorological stations
- To forecast future climate trends, analyze historical climatic conditions, and apply models.
- Find out what causes climate change and what influences it.
- Inform and counsel decision-makers about environmental issues
- Use impact models to demonstrate how human or natural activities, such as agricultural yields, wetland ecology, biodiversity, and human health, adapt to the climate.
- Educate and collaborate with companies that rely on the weather
- inform the public and the scientific community with study results
- provide weather predictions and offer consultancy services to different businesses
- PublicisePublicise forecasts and reports using a variety of channels, such as social media, radio, and television.
- Create scientific presentations, then write and publish results reports and publications.
According to Comparably, the salary range of a climatologist falls between $29,309 to $781,997
Geophysicists study the earth’s structure using physics, geology, meteorology, and engineering knowledge. Developing practical solutions is possible by understanding the earth’s physical properties.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Geophysicist
- Before beginning a project, prepare for the design and collection of data.
- Select the most appropriate seismic measurement and data-processing methods and install seismometers using equipment at various sites throughout the globe.
- Watch how recording devices respond to spot any issues.
- Utilize computers for data management, quality assurance, and interoffice and inter-field communication.
- Evaluate and visualize 2D and 3D seismic data to show the team, clients, senior management, or partners the seismic data obtained during meetings and presentations
- to determine the reservoir volumes
- Design, test, modify, and maintain seismic equipment while considering possible oil and gas output.
- Alter data collecting methods
- Work closely with a small group of scientists and other staff members who could be offshore or out in the field for several weeks.
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of a geophysicist in a year is $92,417.
Final Notes on Career Opportunities in Meteorology and their Salaries
Meteorology is an excellent choice of study because it is concerned with improving environmental conditions and conserving the natural resources available in the environment.
Several jobs are available for those with a degree in meteorology or interest in one. You get to see some of the jobs available in this field.
Before you go, apply for Available Jobs.