Dancing is viewed as a recreational activity, and many people have the misconception that it is impossible to have a respectable and lucrative career in dance.
However, given that dancing may be utilized as a vehicle for entertainment, advertising, education, and rehabilitation, the narratives have shifted.
Dance is an expression of emotions, creativity, and cultural heritage that involves more than merely moving the body in time to beats and rhythms.
Indeed, everyone on earth can understand dance as a universal language.
It’s thrilling, and with a commitment to ongoing training and study, one may have a respectable career in dance.
Career Opportunities for Dancers
Even if attorneys, teachers, and engineers are more well-known professions than dancing may be, it is still possible to make money while enjoying what you do.
Along with the already established dance careers, new ones are sprouting, and more and more people are beginning to recognize and accept dance as a viable source of income.
Listed below are some of the career opportunities for dancers
- Yoga or Pilate instructor
- Video Vixen
- Dance Instructor/Teacher
- Dance Therapist
Also, check out Career Opportunities in Anthropology.
Yoga or Pilate Instructor
Yoga is concerned all about the physical and mental wellness of the body. It involves performing meditation and stretching exercises. Dancers can use their knowledge of various body movements combined with studies on kinesiology to become yoga instructors.
Duties of Yoga or Instructor
Schedule classes for interested customers and sometimes hold private classes for those interested
- Professionally coordinate each session.
- Provide clients with a track record of their performance.
- Provide modifications according to the needs of the fitness levels of the clients.
- Conduct breathing exercises employing different methods
- Ensure that the exercise environment is tidy and suitable for exercise.
- Act as a first responder for emergency cases in the gym.
- Promote the
- Ensure that the equipment and materials are in proper condition after use.
- Keep abreast of information on anatomy, fitness, kinesiology, flexible body movements, and muscular movements.
- Attend client’s complaints and grievances on the issue centered around wellness and mental well-being.
- Offer motivation and encouragement during the exercise session to lift the spirit of the students.
- Set up instruction manuals and recommendations for the students.
The profession of a yoga instructor is rewarding, it is interesting when you have the passion. You get to help people with their physical and mental health.
Yoga is one of the best exercise activities and many people have started to engage in it. Consequently, the demand for yoga instructors is increasing progressively.
From the survey conducted by Indeed.com, the average salary of a yoga instructor is $78,392 yearly.
In music videos, female dancers might work as video vixens. A video vixen’s work involves appearing in music videos, and occasionally, in addition to their typical model act, they could also be asked to dance.
However, the position is primarily filled by women, while more men are currently striving to enter the field to showcase their skills and acts.
Duties of a Video Vixen
- Attend rehearsal for the dance routines
- Collaborate with the musical directors, costumiers, make-up artists, and fellow video vixens on the set of the music.
- Read and understand the scripts for the roles to play in the video.
The salary of video vixens varies as it is dependent on the roles and the number of hours for the appearance. In some cases, they make more money while some job offers may involve less money.
However, according to Digieffects, a video vixen can earn up to $100 per hour or even more.
Also, check out Career Opportunities in Public Relations.
Dance instructors teach students about many parts of dancing methods, routines, and approaches in educational settings that focus on dance.
Additionally, some dance instructors educate dancers on the development and history of dances rather than necessarily teaching them how to dance.
Since there are options for working independently and as freelancers. Dance instructors also work with a variety of pupils from various age groups.
Duties of a Dance Instructor
- Teach dance and choreography sequences to pupils
- Oversee practice sessions to spot errors and guarantee that the dancing routines and moves are proper.
- Decide on the appropriate outfits for the dance performance in collaboration with the costumiers.
- Plan student dancing performances.
- Keep tabs on the student’s performance to make sure they are on track.
- Make sure the setting is appropriate for dancing instruction and practice.
- When completing the dancing practicals, follow all safety precautions.
- Tests and presentations should be used to evaluate the students.
- Do some research and choose the appropriate music for each dance.
- Help pupils develop their creative abilities and dancing skills.
According to the reports from the research made by Zippia.com, a dance instructor charges $16.79 per hour as an average rate. They earn between $23,000 to $52,000 as annual salaries.
Choreographers perform dances by running a sequence of coordinated steps and routines for entertainment, and information to educate or advertise products and services.
Dancing in music videos is also part of the choreography job position.
Duties of a Choreographer
- Make dance routines that go with the performance’s theme.
- Practice acrobatics and dance steps to make sure the actions and steps rhyme,
- Play music while coming up with choreographic ideas.
- Ensure a successful performance, and team up with the theatre manager, dance instructors, directors, and costumiers.
- Attend performances and rehearsals.
According to ZipRecruiter, a choreographer can earn between $20,000 to $69,000 per year, while the average salary falls at $44,175 per year. In choreography, one also has the opportunity of leveling up one’s skills to become a dance instructor.
Also, check out Career Opportunities in The Catering Industry.
Studies have proven that dance is incredibly therapeutic and may be utilized to enhance one’s mental, cognitive, social, and physical health.
Dance is a technique that dance therapists use to organize treatment sessions for their clients.
They made the dancing routines specifically to foster mental and emotional awareness. Dance therapy sessions are also enjoyable and calming, which is also a fantastic incentive to participate in one.
Duties of a Dance Therapist
- Conduct therapy sessions to track and record the recovery journey of the clients
- Listen actively to the concerns of the clients.
- Offer counseling sessions to discuss their issues
- Provide customers with dance lessons and other activities tailored to help them with their mental well being
The annual average salary of a dance therapist from the survey from Zippia.com is $51,634. They can earn between $35,000 to $74,000 in a year as total compensation packages.
Final Notes on Career Opportunities for Dancers and their Salaries
Dancing is becoming more and more popular, and new vocations are emerging, which is excellent news for the art as the notion that dancing is merely a recreational activity is shifting.
People are starting to understand the advantages and how they may be efficiently used for entertainment, healing, and education. In the post, we consider the responsibilities and pay for the position for five dancing occupations.
Before you go, check out Career Opportunities in the Automotive Industry.